Pages

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Brendan Rodgers: Lets Not Make This Personal


Firstly, as I’m writing this after another poor result for Liverpool I know that not as many people as usual will read it. I’m not sure if everybody is aware of this but there is a visible drop off in the number of hits an article receives after Liverpool lose, we are not talking tens and twenties here we are talking hundreds. Where a loss will lose me a few hundred, even a big important win rarely sees a jump of more than one hundred or so from article to article. This is true of most websites which are dedicated to one club in particular. And to me it explains why it sometimes feels like everyone is against the manager, because of all the critical articles. It should be remembered though that regardless of how the writer may feel they guarantee hits by sticking another nail in the coffin. I’ve thought about this a lot and although I don’t make any money from my articles (and I don’t really have any ambition too) it certainly makes the time and effort that goes into each article more worthwhile if I know people around the world are interested to read it. I’ve thought long and hard about how to combat this and I’m pretty sure I’ve found the solution. All I really need to do is follow public opinion and write plenty of articles slagging off Brendan Rodgers. That’s what’s in vogue right now and it’s easy. The opinions are already out there spreading among Liverpool fans desperate for somewhere to place blame I wouldn’t even have to come up with anything original. I could just regurgitate what’s out there and I'm pretty sure it would be click, click, click with no decrease in hits.

I’m not going to do that though. Not because of some holier than thou mindset or because I think that I’m better than anybody. I’m not going to do it because that’s not how I feel. The whole point of me writing in the first place was to express my own opinions so that’s what I’m laying out here. Feel free to disagree, feel free to comment to tell me so, but bear in mind it’s just an opinion.

At the moment we are all feeling down. We all come into supporting football for the joy it gives us, and it feels like for the last year or two the joy has been in scant supply. There is no doubting that performances have been terrible and results have been, at times, abysmal. This naturally, and completely correctly, leads to many questioning the manager. So far, so depressing.

That the manager wasn’t sacked in the summer was a shock to many and it was a dangerous gamble for the owners to take as they must have known that anything other than a perfect start this time around would lead to serious questions being asked. Well, the season started off far from perfectly and the inevitable and justifiable questions are being asked. What has accompanied these questions though is not, in my opinion, justifiable. The personal insults to Brendan Rodgers, the way he is portrayed in sections of the media, the reduction of any of his achievements to luck. It’s not right and I really don’t think it’s necessary. If you want the manager gone, there is a perfectly strong body of evidence to support your case without claiming that 13/14 was all down to Suarez or discussing his personal relationships outside of football. It seems to me that every article I read at the moment which discusses Liverpool is accompanied by a picture of Brendan with that crazy look on his face, as if to imply he is some crazy goof who has no clue what is going on. I'm sure there are plenty of normal pictures which could be used but they are discarded for some reason. It also seems like every article I read discussing Rodgers himself to reference his “Brentisms” as if he is the only football manager who uses management speak and buzzwords, just listen to LVG as an example but you will find many other examples too if you look for them.

At the moment things aren’t working, that is a fact. We are not playing anywhere near as well as we should and our results have been terrible most of the time. But we must not forget this is a hard job. Its been over 20 years since Liverpool last won the league title. He is far from the first manager who has been unsuccessful in delivering that trophy. This job breaks more managers than it makes, hell, Gerard Houllier almost died from managing this club. My own stance is that I do not actively want Brendan Rodgers out and I'm still willing to support his as the manager of Liverpool Football Club but at the same time I know that if I heard he was sacked in the morning I would probably feel a little bit relieved at not having to discuss this situation anymore… for a while anyway, until this job beats the next guy. If we get a Klopp or an Ancelloti I will be positive and optimistic, but lets not forget that is a big if.

What I find hard to take is how willing a lot of Liverpool fans are to join in the hatred towards the man. I’m sure he has done his best. It may prove to not be enough. If that’s the case, he goes and the next manager comes in. But remember all of this may end up being true of the next man as well as the cycle continues.

No comments: